Are you interested in peace research and security policy and how they are connected? Do you want to learn more about strategies for avoiding or reducing violent conflicts and what conclusions politics should draw from this? Do you want to acquire further knowledge and competencies in the field of peace and security policy, work together with experts and researcher with interdisciplinary background and gain life-long networks?
Join our two-year master's programme Peace and Security Studies and study at one of the leading research institutions in Germany. For this, a degree with 180 ECTS is required. After admission, it is possible for applicants with 240 ECTS to apply for a two-semester curriculum. The master's programme is the only programme in Germany to date that combines questions of security policy and security research with a peace studies perspective.
The master’s programme gives you an overview of the social science foundations of peace research and security policy. You will learn about current conflicts in individual regions of the world, concrete aspects of peacekeeping, disarmament and foreign policy.
The curriculum combines research-oriented learning with hands-on skills in an interdisciplinary environment. We cooperate with academic institutions from Germany and abroad that have a thematic proximity to the work of the IFSH. You will learn from experts in the field of social sciences, ethics, law, humanities and natural sciences. Studying Peace and Security M.A. will be a unique educational experience and prepares you to work in international environment.
Please also note the application information MPS of the University of Hamburg (PDF)! (only available in German)
General information about the master's programme
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
- Application for admission (STiNE-Online-application form in German)
- Completed form: Letter of motivation (in English or German)
- Tabular Curriculum Vitae (in English or German)
- Certificate of general qualification for university entrance or certificate of an equivalent school leaving certificate (in English or German)
- Certificate(s) of graduation from a university or university of applied sciences or current Transcript of Records with average grade (in English or German)
- Proof of knowledge of German and English language skills required for the degree programme and the examinations:
- Applicants who have not acquired their university entrance qualification at a German-speaking institution must provide evidence of sufficient knowledge of the German language in accordance with § 3 of the University of Hamburg Statutes on Admission to Studies (Universitäts-Zulassungssatzung - UniZS) in the currently valid version.
- Applicants who have a foreign university degree but nevertheless acquired their university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur) at a German-speaking institution may also submit the university entrance qualification (i.e. Abitur certificate) as proof.
- An overview of all German certificates recognised by the University of Hamburg can be found here.
- Revised TOEFL paper-delivered test: at least 22 points per skill (Reading, Listening, Writing).
- TOEFL internet-based test (test date scores): 92 points with at least 22 points per skill (Listening, Writing, Speaking, Reading)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academic: Overall Band Score at least 6.5 (Good Competent User) with at least 6.0 per skill,
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE),
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE),
- Cambridge Higher Business English Certificate (BEC).
- Furthermore, the following certificates can be recognised:
- a university entrance qualification obtained at an English-speaking institution in a state with English as an official language a university degree in an English-language degree programme, or
- five years of English language instruction at a German-language school.
- Proof of relevant professional activity or internships in the subject area of the degree programme, if available (in German or English).
The application period for the academic year 2022/23 starts 15 February 2022 and ends 31 March 2022.
The online-application runs via the Studieninfonetz - StiNE of the University of Hamburg only! The application there has to be completed in German!
There is a new study regulation that was adopted by the WiSo Faculty Council at the beginning of 2022. As soon as it is has been officially announced, we will post the new version. Until then, please refer to the information on our homepage.
You find here more useful information on financing your studies, information for administrative procedures for foreign students and accommodation tips here.